Democracy initiatives from Austria, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg and the Netherlands are the first members of the new body, whose main goal is to strengthen Democracy International’s work through bringing in experience, advice about best practice and engaging in campaigns.
The Council is foreseen in Democracy International’s statute, which stipulates that democracy initiatives with more than seven members can apply for membership of the Council.
The founding members of the Council are:
- mehr demokratie! österreich (from Austria, represented by Erwin Leitner)
- democratie.nu (Belgium, Marc Janssens)
- Mehr Demokratie e.V. (Germany, Roman Huber)
- OMNIBUS für Direkte Demokratie (Germany, Michael von der Lohe)
- Initiativ fir Demokratie-Erweiderung a.s.b.l. (Luxembourg, Alfred Groff)
- Referendum Platform (the Netherlands)
Gerald Häfner, chairperson of Democracy International and board members Armin Steuernagel and Suresh Nautiyal also attended the meeting. After signing the founding memorandum, the democracy activists informally discussed the work ahead.
Text by Cora Pfafferott